Wednesday, April 18, 2012



The Week I Discovered True Relaxation


Last month I got on a plane with my mother to visit our 88 year-old aunt in Florida.  Before I left, I had mixed emotions about going.   My feelings ran the gamut from excited and ready for a break to maybe I should just let my mom go.  After all, I was fortunate to take a little trip last summer with my mom and my sister while my husband held down the fort with our three young children.  I knew it was his turn – he deserved a trip away with the guys to fish or hunt.   



And then there was my business I run when I’m not swamped with mommy hood -- what if my clients have some crisis or a prospective client wants to meet.   Plus my daughter kept telling me she was going to cry each night I was gone and miss me.   Am I really that much fun, I asked?   Don’t think so.



The self-analyzing began to grate and the excitement about the trip started to wane.   Was I crazy – I was about to experience sunny skies, beautiful waves,  white sandy beaches,  precious time with my mom and aunt and a six day break away from meals to cook, carpools to run, laundry to fold and a house to clean.    6:00 a.m. – the alarm sounded and I was out the door with my mom bound for Florida.



The trip was glorious.  I slept in and went to bed early, started and finished an amazing book,  stared at the gorgeous ocean, mesmerized by the vast view each morning,  shared and listened to fascinating stories about my family’s generations, daydreamed, journaled, walked the beach, shopped and ate the most incredible fresh fruit and fresh seafood.



When I returned home, I was one refreshed, renewed and rejuvenated momma.   I had just experienced the mother of all respites.   My husband later said that my break away from the kids and the daily grind of housework was just what the doctor ordered.   But the more I thought about his comment the more I realized the time away from kiddos and never-ending work (house or business) wasn’t truly the reason I was able to relax and unwind.   Sure it was nice, but I have to admit I do get a little help (and sometimes a lot) with juggling the everyday life.  My generous mother lightens my load with the kids and my husband scores pretty well with laundry, dishes, and meals.



What was the key to decompressing and really relaxing?  It was what I didn’t do and what everyone else does every day.   I didn’t have a laptop or an ipad, and my great aunt doesn’t own a computer.   I didn’t watch TV nor was it ever on.   I didn’t email, text or play on my phone (I am one of the few who don’t have a data plan).   I never looked at a screen unless you count the screen on the window that viewed the magnificent ocean.



I detoxed from digital overload and in turn I filled up on the simple joys of life. Screen-Free Week number two here I come. Starting April 30, I am going to attach a family contract and - 'this screen is off' - sign to all of our electronic devices and turn on life. Disconnecting and powering down might just be the panacea for family connection. Wish me luck and I will do the same for you!

Read more here: http://www.mom2momkc.com/?a=profile&u=18604&t=blog&blog_id=4543#storylink=cpy




No comments:

Post a Comment